Friday, November 14, 2008

That's mean....??? ;P

I was reading some random blog and came across this particular post that reminded me of something. Never have I encountered such incident that was mentioned by the blogger. I am originally a Kedahan but I've lived in Selangor (Shah Alam precisely) for the past 7 years. Growing up in a kampung area, I don't normally converse in English on a daily basis. So it was the time when I mingled with my college friends in Shah Alam that I started to speak English in my daily life. 

Being someone whose English is not that perfect, I'm always careful with the words that I use whenever I want to speak in that language (unless I'm talking to a person whose English is much worse than mine and using Manglish). Okay, so I've became accustomed to speaking in Manglish when I was still in KL. BUT, there is a phrase (two words) that I've never heard people using it before (even up to the time when I was about to leave for NYC) until I met a friend at NYC who happens to be from KL. She was the one who told me this.

She said that this phrase is overused: "That's mean". (thanks Y***)

Funny!!! Seriously, I've never heard people said it that way before. So, when I read that random blog, the blogger said she came across people who've said it many times. So do people who commented on her blog. So now I'm wondering how come I never noticed it before. Anyway, I still think it's funny. Seriously, if I ever heard of it some time in the future, I'm gonna tell that person off, "It's THAT MEANS..not THAT'S MEAN..." hahahaha..I'm evil.

I don't mean to laugh at other people's English language proficiency considering mine isn't that good as well.  But, my advice is, if you're not sure how to use/say some words properly, don't use it. Or speak in other language to make it clear. For example, instead of saying "that's mean" might just say "maksudnya". As a Malaysian, no matter what race or religion, we should be able to understand simple BM. 

I'm always annoyed by pretentious people who mix English and BM constantly, like rojak tahap maksima k (it's not even Manglish anymore). I always mix both too, but what I can't stand is that you can somehow guess that that person can't really speak proper English, but he/she tries so hard to look 'cool' or 'urban' by mixing every other word with BM/English. EVERY OTHER WORD!! Kalau tak caya tengok Melodi. Selalunya diorang ni kira artis2 yang baru nak naik or artis yang dah lama naik. Alah sama je la semua (Pay attention to Ella, she annoys the hell out of me whenever she speaks, no offense to Ella's fans). There's a way to identify them. Whenever they say something in English, it sounds soooo BM (for example: Mariah Carey become Ma-ree-yah Keri/ Madonna becomes Ma-do-nah/ every single English word that starts with 'th' will sounds like it starts with the letter 'D' for example "the other day" becomes "dee ader dey"). Okay, I know it's bad picking on people's ability, but I can't help it if it's too obvious. Hah!

I should start perfecting my American accent so that when I go back to Malaysia, I can poyo! Hahahaha! Somebody slap me now ;P




5 comments:

nadirah said...

KAKAKAKAKAKAKA

u dont know how many times ive been "cap" as poyo ok..i cant help my english!

tapi jom poyo ramai2!

cranberry said...

yeah mari poyo! Shue's gonna slap me if I do that. We made a deal ;P

nadirah said...

and yes, i know many ppl yang say "thats mean"

hahaha :P

Sue Anna Joe said...

American accent tak sexy. Try a French accent, Spanish perhaps. Hehehe.

Btw, what are you studying in NY? Bestnya! :)

Thats mean tu sangat kelakar. Ramai plak tu yang sebut. I wonder why.

cranberry said...

It's refreshing to get people other than my friends to leave a comment here. I appreciate it very much Sue Anna Joe :)

I'm doing my master's in music technology.

Btw, I love your work!