Thursday, May 16, 2013

Breastfeeding and Starting Solids

Tiba2 lak asyik duk browse blog pasal orang punya breastfeeding journey after baby dah 5 months ni.

Alhamdulillah I still breastfeed my baby now that she's already 5 and a half months. Weee!! Although not exclusively (I had to give formula when she was 5 days old) but I'm still pumping! A couple of weeks ago I had the urge to increase my milk production sebab baca statement kawan yang berjaya breastfeed exclusively anak dia sampai 2 tahun lebih. Rasa macam tertekan skit.

I won't be getting back to fully breastfeeding as Khadeeja has started solid foods a couple of days ago. She was suffering from gum ache I assume that she didn't want to drink her milk, bottle and direct feed for about a week. So, mommy was worried sick. After a few days of contemplating, I decided to just let her have solid food now considering she has already meet some criteria:

1. Double her birth weight.
2. Can sit up with support.
3. Able to hold her head straight up
4. Shows interest when seeing adults eat and always putting things in her mouth.

So I bought Heinz's Farley's Rusk for her with my mom's advice. Dah bancuh, pakaikan bip, dudukkan dia atas riba dan suap. Dengan penuh minat Khadeeja membuka mulut seluas2nya! Hahaha! Cam paham je orang nak suapkan makanan. Of course she had some weird looks on her face but she didn't seem to mind eating. Dapat la dalam 10 suap, consider banyak jugak tu. Alhamdulillah...

Going back to breastfeeding, personally, I think support from people around is the ultimate thing. Tak  guna kalau kita beria2 nak breastfeed exclusively tapi orang lain tak cukup ilmu untuk memahami kita. I admit that my mom and MIL tak nampak semua tu, apatah lagi husband yang tak menahu langsung kan? Salah I jugak sebab tak bagitau diorang awal2 yang I nak breastfeed exclusively. Zaman my mom and MIL dah ada formula milk and kiranya kalau dapat bagi FM kira terer la mungkin sebab harga mahal, so kira luxury giler la kalau dapat beli FM. And also because it's convenient so they just succumb to FM. I'm not blaming the rest of the world di atas kegagalan aku untuk BF exclusively, I'm just saying that it's not a one man show.

Right now, I pump twice at work, direct feed her at home if she wants more I bancuh FM. Kalau dia lapar sangat sebab bangun tido I terus bagi bottle and after that I pumped straight away. When I send her to the daycare I leave 2 bottles of 3 oz of my EBM (she's a small eater). She usually drinks 3 times there so her last feed at the daycare would be FM. Selang seli la so no stress for mommy, yeay! Ye la kan, kita dengan kerja lagi, nak urus rumah lagi, urus parents, in-laws bagai. Bila pikir2 senang jadi orang laki kan, balik kerja bleh lepak tengok tv main game berjam2. Kita ni masih terkial2 uruskan itu ini sampai waktu tido. Told my husband, sorry sayang you're not getting any s** sejak ada anak ni. Kalau nak, awak kena tolong saya uruskan rumah sama2 jangan asik nak main game je. Saya penat by the end of the day mana larat nak layan awak lagi hehe..


No comments: