Monday, March 23, 2009

Malaysians love to complain

When I discovered The Star's Citizen Blog (CB) for the first time, I was thrilled! I wasn't so much of a newspaper reader to begin with. Every time my babah buys the newspapers (usually Berita Harian and The Star), the only thing that I look forward to read was the entertainment section. I tried to be a fan of the sports section during my 'Girl Power' days but failed miserably. Politics and business section was not even on my list. It's not like I know which name belongs to which politician because of the whole 'pangkat' written in front of their names. I'm so bad at remembering names and faces when put together.

So when came to New York, I started to read the newspaper on a daily basis. This is because I live with a roommate who is so passionate and full of knowledge when it comes to Malaysian political scene. She knows the dirt (whether it's true or not) inside out and never fails to make the political stories sound so juicy. Of course at the time, I had no idea what or who she was talking about. So I decided to read the news again to become a Malaysian student who is aware with the Malaysian political scene. (No wonder I was so clueless during Biro Tatanegara course). Reading politic news was still a boring thing to do until I discovered the CB. I became an avid fan.

What got me hooked was the rakyat's plead for so many things, especially on equal rights. The non-Malays are blaming the Malays for their special rights, UMNO politicians, quotas, privileged, and what not. I didn't know that the non-Malays have to face all these 'unfairness' despite that they are Malaysian citizens. I feel sorry for them. Sometimes I think that I don't deserve the scholarship to study overseas because there are a lot of non-Malay students who couldn't even go to local universities (because of quota shits). They pleaded and I bought their shit. So I made a resolution to be a Malay who is more open-minded and tolerance towards others (and secretly condemning the government).

After a year and a half of reading the CB, I'm starting to get sick of it. Why? Because what I'm reading now is no longer the rakyat's plead for a better Malaysia, but complains of the citizens. One after another complains bombard the CB almost everyday. I'm no racist but I'm beginning to dislike the articles written by the non-Malays in the CB. There are some who can argue on their topic intellectually which I respect and admired greatly. But majority just know how to complain. They complain about everything! I know Malaysia is not doing well right now but stop complaining la! Macam mana mau improve kalau asyik selalu complain itu ini?? There are a lot of things the government and the CITIZENS have to do to improve the condition of the country. It's not going to be quick and easy. As citizens, why don't we all start by changing out mindset. Stop complaining. Pick up our lazy asses and start doing something beneficial for the country. Got it?

No comments: