Friday, December 13, 2013

Being Mommy and Daddy

I believe we all have our own parenting style when it comes to raising our kids. Well, I grew up in a rather strict but compassionate environment, thanks to my parents. The strictness comes from my mom and my dad is usually very attentive to us. My mom always says "sebab garang (parents) la anak jadi orang", and I believe that's true.

Way before I got married, I had determine to be a rather strict mom as well. But yet kind and compassionate. Having an only child for the moment I tend to spoil my baby a bit especially when it comes to her clothes, toilettries and food. Toys....not so much hehe. But I try my best to set limits and being stern when I need to. It's just that my problem is sometimes I'm not that consistent with being stern, I succumb to KHadeeja's tantrums hehe. Daddy on the other hand, is pretty lenient with her. Maybe because he doesn't spend so much time with her compared to me so every time they see each other it's play time! Even it if means at 2am! I told my husband before that we need to be level-headed when it comes to setting rules for Khadeeja. So I'm glad that he always checks with me first about giving/not giving in to Khadeeja.

We live in a world where information is right at our fingertips so I urge all parents to read, a lot, especially when it comes to parenting. Follow what the experts suggest though don't take it in blatantly, every child is different. Sometimes, you do have to listen to your maternal instinct. 

Just to share with you some principles that I believe in when it comes to parenting:

1. Discipline must be instil at an early age. Say 'yes' and 'no' appropriately. 
2. Having a regular sleeping time and meal times will teach her about discipline as well. So no matter how tired I get I'll always try to feed and put her to sleep at the same time everyday. Lunch: between 12 to 2 pm, dinner: around 7.30pm, sleep: 9pm. Khadeeja naps at about regular times as well: after morning bath, after lunch.
3. Feed your kids with healthy food at all times, that means do your own cooking. If you have to go for processed food, keep it minimal. They will grow up eating lots of junk anyway so try to control it while you can.
4. Don't expose them to tablets/iPad, handphone, TV. If you must, only 10 minutes at a time. 
5. Encourage them to move about the house even it means it'll get messy. By the time they reach an age where they can understand instructions teach them to clean up the mess.
6. When it comes to toys, I don't splurge. If I want to buy, I make sure that they're educational and safe. Otherwise I just let her play with whatever I can find in the house eg: measuring cups, colorful tupperware, cans, laundry basket, etc as long they're safe.

As parents, we try to give the 'best' to our kids. Living in a world nowadays where everything is competition you really need to put your foot firmly in what you believe in (provided that they're the right ones of course). Competition is not just with the kids (what brand is your backpack, which gadgets do you own, etc) but also with the parents (my kids has iPad, my kids where GAP clothing, etc). I just hope that I don't get carried away of spoiling my kid/s or start to become a lazy parent, meaning, I stop implementing discipline or just succumb to their desires and demands. It's tiring of course but you gotta do what'cha gotta do. I guess I should live by the rules "kalau tak garang anak tak jadi orang".

Have a nice day peeps!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

��������������