Friday, July 3, 2009

La la la Kerja!

I’ve started working 3 days ago at an exclusively ‘race-based’ university. First 3 days were filled with meetings which I kinda enjoyed as I have nothing much to do. I’m with the Diploma program and responsible for the semester 1 students. They (the Admin) sure did gave me with the hardest bunch to deal with. I just got myself a somewhat decent office (there’s A/C) to lepak for the time being. Some furnishing job needs to be done.

Classes will only start next week so I have the weekend to prepare some materials to teach. Although I’ve been given the syllabus, it seems like I have the freedom to do whatever I please. So, I got excited and planned out some activities for the students. Unfortunately, the programs that were taught before are something that I’m not familiar with (‘cuz it’s PC-based. Hail Mac!). So I have to do some studying myself. I checked out the equipments but 70% of them are faulty and that left me with nothing to do for the day. So I’m now writing my blog in Word Document as there is NO INTERNET!

Thumbs up to the world-class-wannabe-race-based-university-that-can’t-even-provide-wifi-despite-the-largest-number-of-campuses-throughout-the-country! Oh I heard that they blocked YouTube and Friendster and some other useful sites too.

I met a nice senior yesterday. I have to teach a course that he had planned so he gave me some insights of what to do. He’s currently doing his PhD in Miami. Both of us clicked right away! He told me to just be passionate about teaching and pay no attention to any people who wants to bring me down. He said,” Kalau orang kata kau ni terlebih rajin ke, bersemangat ke apa, kau buat bodoh je.” It’s good to know that he’s on my side.

Apparently, the university now has a few online systems for organizing class, schedule, and even homework. But, since I have no staff number yet, I can’t access any of those for now. And classes start next week. I feel so left behind :( Because of that too, I had to take the visitor’s pass whenever I enter into the campus as I don’t have a staff ID and a car sticker. Most of the time, I give my prettiest smile (not that I’m pretty) to the male guards and tell them that I’m a new lecturer. So they just let me in. I think because the semester hasn’t started yet, they’re not as strict as they usually are.

My battery is running out and I think I can go home now. I’m supposed to stay till 5pm but the rule is you have to be at work for at least 8 hours. My 8 hours has just passed and I’m off the hook! I’ll publish this right away once I get an INTERNET CONNECTION.

Logging off…

No comments: