Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beauty Product Review #1

I was in the midst of looking for a different brand of skincare and after a lot of research done I was down to two brands: L'Occitane and Kiehl's.

By the way, I'm currently using The Body Shop Shiso Whitening range. They're okay and did a pretty good job for my face. I loveeee the moisturizer but not too hot for the powder cleanser. Rasa macam cuci muka pakai "Jif-the floor cleaner". Plus, the cleanser doesn't really lathers well. They do have a liquid version but I was advised to go for the powder because my face is oily. In terms of price, I thought it was pretty expensive for The Body Shop product especially at the time I bought it because I was too concerned about my wedding budget. But luckily, I got some discounts as I was a member of Body Shop.

So here's the price list for Moisture White Shiso range:

Cleanser (powder) RM65 (i think)
Toner (Essence I) 150ml RM85
Moisturizer 50ml RM 95 (pretty reasonable price for moisturizer)

I walked into L'Occitane this afternoon to check out their Red Rice range for oily skin. Cleanser and toner are both 200ml and price is RM77 each. Better than what I had expected. But....here's the bummer. The moisturizer is RM139 for ONLY 30ml. Now now that's not reasonable at all. It's not reasonable at all that they sell moisturizer for only 30ml!! I would understand if it's a serum or anything like that. I really wanted to get the whole range considering it's organic and stuff but the moisturizer really puts me off.

So, last but not least, I decided to walk into Kiehl's. I dropped by this place before and the promoter recommended the Red Earth range for oily skin. It was soooo tempting until I saw the price for the cleanser. It's RM100 for 250ml. Hmmph. A little too pricey for me. But because I was sooo tempted by it I did some online research. Apparently, the Red Earth range is kinda like 2-in-1 solution as it combat oiliness and minimize pore. Then I thought hey hey, that seems like a not-pretty-bad deal! By the way, the L'Occitane range is only for oiliness, they have a different range for minimizing pores. So after a looong consideration I decided to just go for Kiehl's because of the good reviews, the 2-in-1 solution, and the size of the packaging (it's quite big from most beauty products so I guess it's worth the money).

Red Earth skincare range for oily skin:

Cleanser 150ml RM100
Toner 250ml RM100
Moisturizer 75ml RM130 (much cheaper that L'Occitane! and bigger)

When I entered the store, I was welcomed by a different promoter and this one is very nice. So she suggested that I go for the Yerba Mate collection as the Red Earth tends to be a little dry. After a long explanation on most of the skincare range, I was reluctant to leave the store. I mean, I needed some skincare products because my Body Shop is finishing soon but at the same time they are wayyyy beyond my budget. And because she was really nice I did not want to leave the store empty handed (also, did I mention that my Body Shop range is finishing? ;)). So, at the end I decided to go with her suggestions and this is what I got for myself.

Kiehl's skincare range:

Yerba Mate Cleanser 250ml RM85 (price is not bad)
Calendula Toner (alcohol-free) 250 RM135 (f*** there goes my budget)
Yerba Mate Moisturizer 75ml RM150 (way off from my budget but I understand that it's okay for moisturizer to be a little expensive and RM150 is not too bad)

So there goes my salary for this month.

This product better be good!

No comments: