Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Visit NYC 2009....."NYC Truly Diversity"

It has been a while since my parents went back to Malaysia, only now that I have the time to write about it.

They arrived at JFK on Thursday evening. Boarded the NY101 Etihad Airways KL-Abu Dhabi-NY. Had a stopover at Abu Dhabi for 10 freaking hours! So kesian for them. They had to to go through all that just to see me wearing Barney gown (Faruqi. S. 2009). But I'm so glad that they came :) My mom even said that she has completed her travel plans: London-Paris-New York! Hahahaha.

Before they came, I was so busy finishing up my thesis, preparing for thesis defense, graduation, getting some sleeping bags and pillows, cleaning the house (as usual), buying groceries and stuff. By the time they arrived, I was already too tired to move, nevertheless, very much excited.

Once they landed, I was officially the unpaid tourist guide and their first tour was my humble living space. I took them out for a walk that night since they didn't want to sleep to early. They end up going to bed at 9.30pm and so did I. For some reason, I too was jetlag and couldn't sleep the whole night. I slept at 10pm woke up at 4am for 2 days in a row.

My dad wanted to have his first solat Jumaat in NYC at the NYU Islamic Center (which I have never stepped foot at, teruknya aku ni), so I took him there the next day. First day in NYC I took them for a tour around campus area, SoHo and Chinatown. By the time we get to Chinatown my dad was already begging for roti canai and Milo ais. Seriously. Travel so far-so far end up having roti canai. Haiya.

The weekend was spent watching my Balinese dance concert and hibernating. Before you know it, it's GRADUATION!!!!! First was at Radio City Music Hall and next was at Yankee Stadium. In between those 2 events, I had my pesta konvo (which I didn't go) and my thesis defense (which I had to go). After those events, we went back to hibernate.

Of course kalau dah sampai NY tak sah kalau tak singgah Times Square! Bukan Berjaya Times Square k, jangan silap. Took a lot of pictures to prove that they've stepped foot in NYC. Bukan superimpose ok. For tea time, I took them to Stardust (the singing diner) where we were constantly entertained by the singing waiters and waitresses.

The next day, we went to see the site of WTC and spent the whole afternoon at Century 21 ;P Oh, I took them for tea at Max Brenner. They loved it! We had chocolate pizza with banana, crepe with chocolate and banana, and banana chocolate smoothies. WTF??

For the next 2 days, it was raining the whole day so we stayed home most of the time, with the exception of doing laundry, groceries, and having tea at Martha's. Initially, my mom wanted to cook for my friends because she wants to meet them so badly. She even brought along the acuan to make roti jala! But I told her not to trouble herself. I didn't want her to be preparing a lot of food for people who might not turn up for a Sunday morning picnic. So she bought that. However, it turned out that a friend of mine wanted to have a 'family picnic' on that Sunday. Since her mom has prepared some food, and me worried that nobody would turn up, I dragged my family to Central Park that morning. It was so cold and I didn't know that I'm allergic to nature (pollen) until that morning.

Monday was sunny so I took them to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. Did the whole touristy thingy there but my sister was in a bad mood. Bummer.

I planned to take them up to Empire State Building the next day but since money was short, we and end up taking picture at the area and windowed-shopping at Macy's. Since I didn't know anymore halal place to take them for lunch, we end up having the award-winning street vendor, Sammy's halal food! I keep calling it Afghan rice (with chicken or gyro) but it turns out that Sammy is from Pakistan. Oh, Sammy wasn't there that day but Ibrahim was. We lepak at Washington Square Park that afternoon and for the first time in my life, I get to see the famous arch in full view as the construction had just finished!

Before you know it, it was their last day :( Spent the day packing, doing laundry, cooking, and eating. We left for the airport at 5.45pm and had dinner there. Went for Maghrib prayer at the surau in JFK and after that, they departed. I was trying to hold my tears when my mom hugged me but because both of us are famously known as 'Ratu Air Mata', it fell down like pipe water. It was bittersweet, having to be away from them again but going to meet them again in 3 weeks time. Can't wait for that.

No comments: